Friday, October 21, 2011

roof framing for chicken coop

The roof was the most challenging part because I had never done it and had to do a lot of research to properly cut the notches to get the slope of the the roof right. I finally got it though. I set up the pieces on my driveway to reproduce what it would like on the chicken coop, while being able to work on it without climbing a ladder. So from there I took a framing ruler (which is an L-shaped ruler with measurements on it) and figured out how to calculate the angle of the notches from the angle of the slope of the roof which was based on the rise over run thing, and then after getting it promptly forgot how to do it. But not before I cut 5 rafters.




You can see I have stapled window screening to the clerestory area. I added that area because I had to add something in there to make the framing easier, and because it looks neat and because it allowed for convenient way to ventilate from the front to the back window. I intended to make a cover for it, either a boarded door that swung down and covered it or a canvas cover, but it hasn't gotten cold enough for it to be necessary, so it is just window screening.


I think I cut these out with a jig-saw. I borrowed a table saw for this project, already had a miter/chop saw and made a lot of use of a handheld jigsaw whose blade would bend constantly and ruin cuts. I worked with it carefully. It was really useful when I had to cut out holes in siding later.

No comments:

Post a Comment