Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chicken coop foundation

Here's the first idea I put together for the coop in sketchup, not really worrying about anything except roughing out a basic feel, and using a 4x8' footprint to make construction easier.
Here is the revision I used to calculate and get measurements for the framing lumber and construction I would use. I got most of the spacing and configurations off of diagrams and sites online. I did this for most of the coop, as I have never built any structure like this before. It was a first time for everything I did I think.


Here is the foundation complete. It consists of cinderblocks buried to beneath the frost line in holes filled with gravel. I leveled off the cinder blocks with a 2x4 and a level to make sure they all sat on a plane. The 4x8 plywood sits on a treated lumber frame, and the underside of the whole structure is painted to prevent moisture and insects from destroying it. There is one cinder block in the center of the whole thing.








No comments:

Post a Comment